About Deaf Child
Deaf Child is the first Deaf owned marketing team in the United States, company est. 2013.
I am Alexis Larinda Carney (Lexie). AKA "that crazy chick," "always going off," "just trying to get attention," "keeps talking about being Deaf..."
I earned my Bachelor of Science from Loyola University New Orleans in Music Industry Studies & Business Administration + over 50 marketing or sales certifications (49 are currently active). I study how people find, interpret, then act on different forms of communication (semiotics). I am a Growth Analyst that works with companies to provide the data & tools needed to thrive.
Offering full funnel growth, go to market strategy, development projects, data projects, street team, & PR
I'm a Hard of Hearing 29 year old. Born in Meridian, MS. Moved to Philadelphia, MS when I was 11. Moved to New Orleans, LA when I was 12. Been here ever since.
Deaf Child's mission: make music, bring people together, support communities. Deaf Child is my DBA. The name comes from my complete Deaf Gain in my left ear (partial Deafness in right) since birth. I am Sensorineural Deaf.
My work is named after my nickname and feelings as a Deaf Child raised in a hearing world.
My Team & I Work Hard
Shah produces electronic music, plus previously ran a sound rental company. Cristina is not only integral for day to day operations, but also a Deaf mother of five. She is an advocate for Deaf Culture & ASL access. I'm also lucky to work with an incredible group of Affiliates!
Alex • Allison • Cristina • Desireé • Hillary • Jamie • Jenn • Sarah • Scott • Sebastian • Veronica
I'm Deaf, Cristina is Deaf, Veronica is Deaf, Scott is Deaf, Sarah is Deaf.
Is Deaf Child really the 1st Deaf Owned Marketing Team?
Deaf Child is the 1st Deaf owned marketing company that has an in house team. By definition freelancers and consultants are businesses, so if you want to be technical you could say since I am not the first person, I am not the first company. But I did build the first marketing organization with a Deaf owned team.
I am 1 of 4 Deaf Owned Marketing Teams that I know of
There are millions of Deaf people out there, many of us working in the field of marketing. If you want a Deaf owned marketer, but not sure if Deaf Child is right for you, please check out:
1. The first Deaf marketing consultant started 1998, before access to ASL interpreters was legalized by ADA - MJ Williams
2. Deaf women & LGBQTIA+ owned since 2017 (I'm queer as fuck too), Business Experience & User Experience - dozanü
3. Deaf owned graphic design and website company since 2017 - Leap Forward Web
4. Deaf owned marketing company since 2017, Web Dev - Chilmarketing
I've Worked on Projects with:
• DBA Deaf Child or as Self - Big Easy Magazine, Dragon's Den, Freret St Fest, Hi Ho Lounge, Jefferson Parish Environmental, Jerry Garcia Band Cover Band (JGBCB), J-Ink Productions, Joey Van Leeuwen, Julie Do, Machine Kids, MPB Jazz, Nemes, New Orleans Musicians' Clinic, Nick Serena (Astro Inn), Niklas Stadler, Nola Cantina, Outburst Consulting, Paper Bison, Santa Barbara Records, Shah, Simple Play Presents, The Howlin' Wolf, The Khan Law Firm, The Law Office of Christopher Szeto, The Orpheum Theatre, Tipitina's, Treme Coffeehouse, Vibe Doctors, Zoogma, 504 Experience, 504 Experience Tours
• Seriously Sik Sound Rentals - Elsa, Ky, Museum of New and Old Art, Nola Healing Center, Nondi
• Horn & Tail EDM Co - Christian Martin, Chuck Love, Claude VonStroke, DJ Madd, Doc Martin, Gina Turner, Ivy Lab, Juss B, Justin Martin, N-Type, LTJ Bukem, Marbs & Porkchop (Desert Hearts), OM Unit, Roni Size, Scuba, Seven
• Full Funnel Growth - Body Sculpt, CEED, Echo Cast, InMode, Tea Forte, Quality Water Group
• Funk Baby - Bowery South, Jammy Packs, Jazz in the Park, Mannie Fresh, Robert Glasper Experiment
• Munck Entertainment - Jazz Fest Live
• & more - View a project case study!
About the Deaf Child Name
When my mom found out I was Deaf, they asked her about noticing that I couldn't hear her. She said I have three kids none of them listen to me!
This concept of falling through the cracks in support systems has applied to many aspects of my life: healthcare, education, relationships, quality of living, and working conditions.
The idea behind doing business as Deaf Child comes from Deaf Gain and growth. It started out as a way to speak up for people who don't have the resources to speak up for themselves.
Obviously there's the Hard of Hearing aspect. I could keep it light and say that "child" is in the name because I look young or I want to approach problems with a childlike curiosity. But really it is because in some ways I feel like I had to grow up early for myself.
The name Deaf Child is a reminder to not just catch things when they fall between the cracks, but to actively nurture development for a flourishing environment.
I am Alexis Larinda Carney: Lexie is my nickname, Deaf Child is my DBA. My mission is to make music, bring people together, and support communities. Can I help you?
While I work in a variety of industries, music marketing is my niche
I'm tired of issues we can control happening because we "had no other choice," "didn't know better," or "don't care." Corrupt companies such as AEG and Live Nation now run most of the live music shows in the United States. In a world where Black Rock basically owns every major corporation, and all of our major music distribution funds are going towards messed up causes such as anti lgbqtia+ orgs, anti marijuana lobbyists, anti abortion groups, etc., is it even possible to make music without selling out?
I have been struggling with ableism, audism, abusers, rapists, and rape culture in my own life; the music industry is a microcosm.
I started out working on projects I didn't fully agree with, because I wanted to be "professional." However, by doing that I was only ever part of the problem: another pawn in the game of exploitation, for the sake of art or capitalism? Either way just trying to get by in a society that struggles day by day. It wasn't until I stopped working on things because I thought I had to to make a living, and then focused on where my values aligned that I actually made a living. I excused what I did that I knew was wrong for the sake of making it. But my business didn't get stable. Not until I could balance short term profits and long term sustainability.
Online Payments and Financial Support:
• Cash App $AlexisLarinda
• PayPal via email@example.com
• Venmo @Alexis-Carney
60 Hour Marketing Challenge | February 2021
Cheap $hit | May 2021
Street Team Secrets | May 2021
Interview about Deaf Child:
• DeafandHOH.com | Member Monday | February 2020
Big Easy Magazine | The Heart of Business is Femininity | October 2018
Interviews by Deaf Child:
• Paris M. Hatcher | How Artists Influence Communities | September 2018
• Monalicious (Mona Magno) of FreeMusicForFreePeople (FM4FP) | How Artists Influence Communities | September 2019
• Karen Lozinksi | How Artists Influence Communities | March 2018
• What's Nola Doing? | Admin | October 2017
• Marketing Meetups | Admin | February 2021
A Pixel in the Bigger Picture
• BuzzFeed | 28 Reasons why New Orleans Rules all Year Long | May 2013
• Nola.com | New Orleans March Against White Supremacy Hot but Peaceful | August 2017
• Nola.com | Engage Don't Rage: More than 1000 March Peacefully in New Orleans to Protest White Supremacy | August 2017
• Jazz and Heritage Fest | Sync Up Conference Participants | January 2018
• From L.A. to N.O.L.A. | Krewes of Babylon and Muses Parades 2019 | March 2019
• Very Local New Orleans | Photos: Marching Krewes Dance to get the Blood Flowing, Literally | August 2019
• From L.A. to N.O.L.A. | Krewe of Tucks Parade 2020 | February 2020
Typical Duties as a Consultant, Analyst, & Marketer may include:
Develop and implement marketing strategies and initiatives aligned with the overall business strategy
Planning, directing, and coordinating all marketing functions
Managing the accumulation and consolidation of the online presence for the business
Providing management with information vital to the decision making process
Managing the budget process for advertising
Assessing current marketing operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
Evaluating the effectiveness of marketing and supporting databases as needed
Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
Overseeing regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
Ensure legal compliance throughout advertising in accordance with relevant laws